General Suggestions

Share your thoughts on World Bank Data

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Regional Data for all indicators

I was trying to find regional data for some indicators but could only find information by nation. Regional data was only available for featured indicators. It would be helpful if Regional Data was available for all indicators together with national data

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we cannot provide regional aggregate data for indicators where geographic coverage across countries is not sufficient. It could be misleading to our users to state a regional aggregate based on data coming only from a few countries. We hope to achieve this in the future as we get better data coverage. Please do let us know if you are interested in a particular indicator. Many thanks for the feedback!

• I cannot find BOD (biochemical oxygen demand) data in WDI anymore!

BOD is a measure of water pollution. It was available in earlier versions of WDI but now i cannot find it anymore. Any reason?
      Do you know how we can get this information?

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we no longer have data on BOD. This indicator was removed because the were no updates available in the dataset from which this information was previously sourced.

• Unclear status of data for 1950-60

The 2016 WDI go back to 1960 for the longest series. However, if one consults earlier WDI from the archive, key series such as "population, total" are available from 1950 onwards.

Suggestion: It would make long-run analyses much more convenient if you could provide the data from 1950 on for such series in the lastest WDI.

If you have less trust in the data between 1950-60 and this is why you decided to discard them, you could harmonize the measurements to the best of your knowledge and add a "cautionary note" about this data so that users can decide themselves…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your message. There was only one year (1995) when certain data from 1950 to 1959 were included in the World Development Indicators. Kindly refer to other sources of data for indicators available before 1960, such as the UN or the IMF.

• I need data about Renewable energy consumption (% of total final energy consumption) for 2013, 2014 ff

I need data about Renewable energy consumption (% of total final energy consumption) for years 2013, 2014 for all countries, also the GDP and gross fixed capital formation in constant price US$ 2005..for all countries for the same period.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your message. The main updates of the World Development Indicators (WDI) database take place in April, July, September, December. At that time, the most recent information is included, based on availability.

In the meantime, you can also check directly with the original data source. The information for the indicator ‘Renewable energy consumption (% of total final energy consumption)’ (EG.FEC.RNEW.ZS) is based on data from the International Energy Agency in IEA World Energy Balances.

Starting with the July 2016 version of the WDI database, constant US dollar national accounts series are based in 2010 prices.

Data from previous versions can be accessed via the WDI Archives: http://databank.worldbank.org/data/reports.aspx?source=WDI-Archives

Kindly also see link below:
            https://datahelpdesk.worldbank.org/knowledgebase/articles/114946-how-can-i-rescale-a-series-to-a-different-base-yea

• Do you have historical data for the SDR deflator?

Do you have historical data for the SDR deflator?

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • World databank (WDI) to update Malaysia 2015

I was looking for time series on labour force survey statistics for Malaysia up to latest (2015) in WDI and to make comparison with statistics from other countries. However, I found out that WDI only had statistics for Malaysia up to 2014, last updated 22nd July 2016. I also found out most of the data on Malaysia in WDI were only up to 2014. Can you please update WDI to the latest statistics i.e. 2015. Thank you.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your message. Labor market series in the World Development Indicators (WDI) database are updated in the second half of the year (usually in the September release of the WDI). Currently, 2015 figures for a number of WDI indicators for Malaysia, including national accounts data, are available.

The main WDI updates take place in April, July, September, and December. At that time, the most recent information is included, based on availability.

• EU and US comparison of data

You should be comparing national data on a entity vs entity basis; that is, the EU-countries and the US are compared presently as individual country entities. It is senseless to do so given relative GDPs. The comparison would be better made on purely a US vs total EU basis.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your message. The World Development Indicators (WDI) database provides country level data, as well as data for regional and income aggregates including, for example, European Union, Euro Area, and Europe & Central Asia.

For a complete list of aggregates and to access the data, kindly refer to the links below.

WDI overview page:
                  http://data.worldbank.org/products/wdi

WDI via DataBank:
                  http://databank.worldbank.org/data/reports.aspx?source=world-development-indicators

For information on using DataBank, please see:
                  http://databank.worldbank.org/data/faq/html/databank-faq.html
                  http://databank.worldbank.org/data/faq/video/databank-tutorial-overview.html

• Don't see your idea?

Thank you for visiting the World Bank's Data Help Desk. Please review the terms of use for this website. Your continued use of this website constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.

Developer Info

General Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base