Share your thoughts on World Bank Data

Unclear status of data for 1950-60

The 2016 WDI go back to 1960 for the longest series. However, if one consults earlier WDI from the archive, key series such as "population, total" are available from 1950 onwards.

Suggestion: It would make long-run analyses much more convenient if you could provide the data from 1950 on for such series in the lastest WDI.

If you have less trust in the data between 1950-60 and this is why you decided to discard them, you could harmonize the measurements to the best of your knowledge and add a "cautionary note" about this data so that users can decide themselves what to do with it.

In the current situtation, as a user I am confused why the series stop in 1960 (I couldn"t find an answer in the FAQ?), and am not sure how much faith to put into the numbers that I can get from an older WDI version.

Many thanks in advance!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David Kunst shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    responded  ·  AdminAna (Admin, World Bank Data) responded  · 

Thank you for your message. There was only one year (1995) when certain data from 1950 to 1959 were included in the World Development Indicators. Kindly refer to other sources of data for indicators available before 1960, such as the UN or the IMF.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Thank you for visiting the World Bank's Data Help Desk. Please review the terms of use for this website. Your continued use of this website constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.

Developer Info

Feedback and Knowledge Base