Although the original data sources are population censuses and national population estimates published by each country’s national statistical offices, there are some differences in the subnational population numbers between the Subnational Population databases and official statistics. The reasons for such differences include the adjustments and applications that were made on the subnational population numbers from the official sources. For example, the original data was adjusted from national statistical offices to mid-year, because most censuses were conducted during the time other than mid-year, while our estimates are for mid-year. A calculation was then made to show the share of population in first level administrative unit, and then applied to the World Bank’s total population estimates to calculate the population in each first level administrative division. However, the World Bank’s total population estimates often differ from census’ total population. This is because they are often adjusted for under/over-numeration of the estimated subnational population figures, which also differ from the subnational population numbers from official sources.
New and returning users may sign in
- What is the Subnational Population Database?
- What are the sources for the subnational population data?
- What is the estimation period for the Subnational Population Database?
- What are the methodologies used in estimating the subnational population data?
- How are the first-level administrative division used in the Subnational Population Database?
- Why do the estimates in the Subnational Population Database sometimes differ from official statistics?
No results.Clear search results
- Country Classification 6 articles
- Currencies 4 articles
- Data Compilation Methodology 11 articles
- Data Not Available 7 articles
- Data Updates 3 articles
- DataBank 13 articles
- Developer Information 16 articles
- External Debt 5 articles
- Finance/Lending 1 article
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) 2 articles
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP)/Gross National Income (GNI) 4 articles
- ICP/PPPs 1 article
- International Comparison Program (ICP) 2 articles
- Microdata 15 articles
- Open Data Training 1 article
- Other 4 articles
- Poverty Data 11 articles
- Private Sector (IFC) 1 article
- Quarterly External Debt Statistics (QEDS) 6 articles
- Quarterly Public Sector Debt 2 articles
- Subnational Data 6 articles
- World Development Indicators (WDI) 10 articles
- World Development Report (WDR) 1 article
- All articles